Situated on the steep ancient trackway used by drovers, Romans and pilgrims from the Peninsula and Bardsey Island. Wedi’i lleoli ar lwybr hynafol serth a ddefnyddiwyd gan borthmyn, Rhunfeiniaid a phererinion o’r Penrhyn ac Ynys Enlli.
The present Church was built in the late 14th and early 15th centuries. The Welsh word Llan means enclosure and this Church marks the place where Peter Pedr first set up his Church in the 6th century. Llanbedr-y-Cennin means the Church of St. Peter among the Daffodils and Spring typifies this lovely old country Church with its profusion of flowers that greet all who enter. The Daffodil symbolises rebirth and new beginnings. It truly is a place of natural beauty in the Conwy valley and has been dedicated to continuous worship since the 13th century. St. Peter’s Church has been used by family and friends for centuries to share in the joy of a wedding or a baptism, as well as worship. It’s located just up the road from Ye Olde Bull Inn.
The village, which takes its name, was built around this focal point that still today offers the warmth of fellowship in God’s love from a small, but growing congregation. The Church is open to visitors in the daytime.
Sunday Worship 9.30am
Services are mainly Eucharistic (i.e. they include Holy Communion, which is when the faithful receive bread and wine as a symbol of the body and blood of Jesus Christ). Eucharistic Services are taken by ordained Priests and they follow the Church in Wales (1984) Book of Common Prayer in Llanbedr-y-Cennin. Occasionally, Morning Worship Services are taken by Lay Readers. Click here for a list of all the upcoming Services and Events.
Thursday Morning Prayer 8.30am
We say Morning Prayer every Thursday morning. You are very welcome to join us for this short act of worship in the middle of the week.
Click here for Services and Events that happened in 2018.
The Church, which started life as an early Celtic cell, has records of a vicar as early as 1384. It boasts black timbers, which are thought to be from the Spanish Armada and used in 16th century renovations. It was extensively renovated in 1842-43 with works to the roof, arches, fittings and windows, which was marked by an engraving of those dates under the wooden lid of the 13th century font bowl.
A striking, stained-glass portrait of Christ the Good Shepherd above the altar fills the East window aperture. It was made by Henry Gustave Hiller in 1907.
The Lord’s Prayer Ein Tad and Creed are written in Welsh on 17th century prayer boards on either side of the altar.
There is a display cabinet in the Church, which contains a copy of Bishop Parry’s Welsh Bible from 1620. Bishop Richard Parry lived from 1560 to 1620. It is one of 800 copies that were printed for Welsh Churches. Bishop Richard Parry and his Curate John Davies updated the original Welsh translation. The copy is known as the Miller’s Bible, because it was in the Tal-y-Bont mill in the late 18th century. The miller at that time was known as Shôn Ffidl Dwrch, because he played the fiddle and caught moles, hence the colloquial name of Ffidl Dwrch. Ffidl and Twrch are the Welsh words for Fiddle and Mole, respectively. Shôn was the Church sexton and looked after the Church and Churchyard. The word sexton means custodian of sacred objects. In a note, which was signed and dated 1903, Peleg Jones talks about his father being a frequent visitor to the mill where the Bible was kept and buying the Bible from Shôn. His father then rebound the Bible to how it is today. It wasn’t until 1964, that one of Peleg’s descendants kindly returned the Bible to St. Peter’s Church. The case that holds it is dedicated to Evan Jones and daughter, who were both sextons for more than 60 years. A note has been found in the Bible stating that John Pritchard was the owner of the Bible in 1795. Was this John the Miller, also known as Shôn Ffidl Dwrch? We will probably never know!
An ancient and remarkable artefact can be found in a recess under the South window. It is a medieval chest, that has been hewn out of solid oak!
Aldwyth Katrin Williams was the organist in the early 20th century. She was the only daughter of the Reverend Robert Williams, who was the rector of Llanbedr-y-Cennin. During the First World War, she volunteered at Red Cross military hospitals in Llandudno, and travelled there three times a week to treat wounded servicemen. She contracted influenza in 1918 and died, aged 26, shortly before the Armistice. Her grave is on the Great Orme in the Churchyard of St. Tudno’s Church.
The beauty and special atmosphere of Llanbedr-y-Cennin has long attracted visitors, famously hosting an Artists’ Colony in the 19th century. Ornithologists are drawn to the Churchyard by a range of birdlife, especially hawfinches.
At the rear of the Church, there are raised benches, where children were educated. In his will of 1718, Reverend Launcelot Bulkeley made provision for a Charter School where six boys received free lessons. When you leave this Church, it’s worth sparing a thought for those poor children who were educated in the hard, raised pews at the back of the Church!
Vicar: Reverend David Parry
firstname.lastname@example.org 07403 635510 and (01492) 593402
Local Wardens: Kate Clews (01492) 650042 and Margaret Wicklen (01492) 650356