Above the Church entrance, there is a badly eroded, roughly carved 15th century crucifix. The Church walls contain dressed, red sandstone blocks, which were probably part of the old Roman fort. Outside, the wooden lintel of the window nearest the organ is carved as if it was once part of some furniture. In the Northwest corner of the Churchyard, there are remains of a hearse house. It was damaged in a storm in 2005 and had to be demolished. It has since been converted into a toilet, which is a welcome relief for people attending Church!
The bell in the twin bell-cote is inscribed with the letters and numbers “W IS 1657”. The Church warden probably had the initials I. S. when the bell was cast in 1657. There is no evidence to support there being a second bell. Close to the Church entrance, there is a badly worn gravestone, with inscriptions at both ends. Recycling is not just a recent idea! There are three old yew trees. The two on the South side of the Churchyard are thought to be over a thousand years old and the Churchyard was extended beyond these yews at the end of the 19th century.
On the edge of the Northwest gable of the roof, there is a gravestone, which is inscribed with the words:
“(He)re lyeth t(he) body of Richard Hughes gentle m’n who was intere(d) the 4 day of —-ember anno domini 1702 aged —-
Also Dorothy bur’d his wife. Also Mary Lloyd Richard Evans bur.”
The lych gate is 18th century and was restored in the 1970s. At one time, a stone was visible at its base bearing the inscription “T.P. 1728T.R”. When a coffin was brought to the Church, it would have rested in the lych gate before it was time for it to be taken into the Church. The stone steps over the wall to the right of the lych gate provided access to the Churchyard for the mourners. A mounting block is also provided by the steps for those on horseback.
Click here for more information and photographs.