St. Benedict’s is an ancient, small country church tucked away in Gyffin, on the outskirts of Conwy. It has great history, beauty and significance exemplified by an incredible fifteenth century painted chancel ceiling. Weekly worship is traditional and the congregation is very prayerful, pastorally sensitive and supportive.
We love to host open days when the wider community come together and engage in great family activities. Here are pictures from our Easter Saturday Open Day, with plenty for our youngest visitors to do!
Join us for worship
Sunday morning worship at 9.30am
Morning Services are mostly Eucharistic, following the Church in Wales (1984) Book of Common Prayer with occasional services of Morning Prayer. Every 5th Sunday morning at 11.00am we join St Mary’s Conwy to celebrate the Bro Celynnin Communion together. Click here for forthcoming services.
Early Morning Prayer on Mondays at 8.30am
We say Morning Prayer together as a beautiful, fitting start to the week. You are very welcome to join us for this short act of worship.
We enjoyed a great Open Day with family activities in the run-up to Christmas, ending with Christingle carols.
For Cadw Open Doors 2017 we hosted a fantastic day with free family fun activities on the theme of Harvest – with thanks to all who worked so hard to prepare for our Harvest service, put on such a lovely day and to all who came!
Flowers for Easter Sunday …
A Brief History ..
The origins of St. Benedict’s reach further back than Conwy itself – long before the castle! Although the main building is no older than the 12th century, the churchyard may well be as ancient as the 8th century – indicated by its round shape. It’s believed the church was dedicated to a local saint and that it was re-dedicated to St. Benedict under the monastic influence of Aberconwy Abbey.
Things to see ..
St Benedict’s has a beautiful 14th century Porch and wooden doorway. However, undoubtedly the ‘must see’ is at the other end: sixteen 15th century panels, painted onto the arched vault of the Sanctuary which depict the four Evangelists (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) flanked by female figures in red, olive and grey, against a foliage background. There is a fine 13th century font which lays claim to the baptism of one of the translators of the New Testament into Welsh, published in 1567 – Richard Davies who became Bishop of St Asaph in 1559 and Bishop of St David’s in 1561.
For more details and location use this link
Contact details ..
Ministry Area Leader: Rev’d David Parry
email@example.com 07403 635 510 – (01492) 593 402
Local Wardens: Magi Roberts, Ros Hughes